Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Podcasting

To me, a podcast is between ordinary blogging and radio. It is merely a method of publishing and distributing audio files on the internet. It is so simple that anyone at all can produce a home-made film or radio over the internet. Being on the internet, it can be broadcast the world over.

As a student, I find podcasts great for our lectures. They are useful especially when going over lectures before exams and catching important information we might have missed the first time. This also means we don't waste time taking notes during lectures. Student waste valuable time circling the car-park for a parking bay before lectures. With Podcasting, the need to get to a lecture in time is eliminated.

Pertaining to libraries: Many library patrons cannot make it to a programme they would like to attend because of work/prior commitments. It would be nice if programmes like author talks, health talks etc were Podcasts for those that could not make it to a programme. Library patrons could also listen to an update on what's happening at the various branches. Marketing could use Podcasting as form of communication through some media outlet.

4 comments:

  1. I missed the era of podcasting of lectures. I am sure they are great for students

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love podcasting and mainly use it for Brooke's and Shield's and newshour. I tried it for library stuff but couldn't find a good Australian site. Like wise with elf274 I used it when studying at Uni and found it vital as I could only attend half the lectures due to work. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Without podcasting I doubt my daughters would have got through uni as successfully as they did. Pity they weren't about in my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Podcasting uni lectures has its downside too. Why waste time looking for parking in an overfull carpark to attend a lecture you can listen to in the comfort of your home?

    ReplyDelete