Saturday, December 4, 2010

Surfers paradise - so close to Perth!

If you are looking for a change from everyday life, this is a lovely time of the year to visit Lancelin -just an hour's drive from Perth. The holiday makers have not yet arrived with the hustle and bustle of the activities during the surfing season.

Lancelin is a small fishing town 94 km from Perth.  Back Beach is great for body-boarding, surfing and swimming. The sand dunes are super for body-boarding and quad bikes. Quad bike racing is fun and bikes are available on loan at the dunes.  There are plenty of restaurants and take-away places. The view from the top of the dunes is awesome! Be careful with your camera up there - it is common for cameras to get damaged with the fine sand particles from the very strong winds up on the dunes.
With the weather still cool, the wildflowers are still in bloom. The drive is beautiful ...through countryside scenery, stretches of canola fields and sheep farming. As you are nearing Lancelin, the drive along the coast is breathtaking with clear blue skies.

Copyright and Creative Commons do not apply to these pictures - I am the photographer! I chose to upload these subtle images from the drive up there rather than the other images in Lancelin because I was caught on camera 'rolling down' the dunes like a landslide!  I will save those images for 'Funniest home video'

Lancelin has been my favourite haunt for years and each trip is always special.


10 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures! Did you visit Lancelin on your recent holiday? I still haven't been there but will make it my mission sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Just a few days. Something about that place keeps drawing me back and I can't get enough of it. It is TRULY beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great photos! It makes me want to jump in the car and go on a country drive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos. You make me want to head up there again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much greenery, last time I visited Lancelin was about 20 years ago. I seem to remember lots of sand dunes, are they still there?
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sand dunes, Lancelin's main attraction - will always be there although the town has changed a lot with rows of fancy new houses. The surroundings are still very lush and green.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't been there for years. Must make the effort again

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lancelin is a fantastic place, its been a while since I was there but I am sure that I will get there again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We used to go there all the time as kids - bet is looks nothing the same now.

    ReplyDelete